The 20 Best Toys For Guinea Pigs
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Guinea pigs are very active pets, so they need a spacious cage that gives them ample room to exercise. What many people don’t know about guinea pigs is that they are also very smart, so they need mental stimulation as well as physical exercise.
Providing your guinea pig with an assortment of toys is a simple way to keep its mind active, so it doesn’t become bored or depressed.
In this article, we’ll talk about your guinea pig’s needs for mental stimulation and how important it is to provide a variety of toys. We’ll also show you our top picks for the best toys for guinea pigs.
At a Glance: Best Toys For Guinea Pigs To Buy
We highly recommend looking at the comparison table we have below where we highlighted the features of each product. You’ll also find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
Compare Best Toys For Guinea Pigs
1. JanYoo Guinea Pig Chew Toys
2. Kaytee Perfect Chews Guinea Pig Toy
3. Niteangel Small Animal Trio of Fun Balls Activity Toy
4. Living World Small Animal Tunnel
5. Niteangel Wooden Ladder Small Animal Bridge
Chew toy, tunnel
Variety pack of balls, ropes, sticks, and more
Hangs on cage, several shapes
Lightweight, all-natural, no glue
Promotes play and exploration
No glue, chewable, all-natural
What To Look For In Toys For Guinea Pigs?
When it comes to choosing toys for your guinea pig, there are many different options. Guinea pigs love to pick things up and throw them around, but they also love to chew.
The most important thing to keep in mind is your guinea pig’s safety – make sure whatever the toy is made from is non-toxic and that it won’t do your guinea pig harm. Aside from that, there are many types of toys to consider.
Here are some important things to look for in guinea pig toys:
- Safe, non-toxic materials-The safest option is to buy toys specifically made for guinea pigs but can also use other things as long as they are non-toxic. Untreated wooden blocks, for example, are a good option as is plain cardboard, paper bags, and fabric tents.
- Chewable or edible-Guinea pigs love to chew, so provide some toys that are edible (like woven hay mats) or chewable (like wooden blocks). Your guinea pig’s teeth never stop growing, so chew toys help keep them ground down to an appropriate length.
- Easy to move around-Your guinea pig’s toys should be appropriately sized and light enough that the guinea pig can pick them up and toss them around.
- Variety-Your guinea pig is a curious, intelligent animal so it will appreciate having a variety of toys to choose from. If you don’t want to buy a big stock of toys, buy a few and rotate through them throughout the week to keep your guinea pig engaged.
Our Top Picks For The Best Guinea Pig Toys
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in guinea pig toys, it’s time to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best toys for guinea pigs.
In addition to providing your guinea pig with plenty of toys to play with, you should also make sure it has companionship.
Guinea pigs are social creatures that do best when they live with others of their own kind. If you can’t keep more than one guinea pig, make the extra effort to play and interact with your guinea pig at least once a day to meet its needs for companionship.
Here are our top 20 picks for the best guinea pig toys:
JanYoo Guinea Pig Chew Toys
- Type: Chew Toys
- Materials: Non-toxic wood
- Features: Variety pack of balls, ropes, sticks, and more
- Variety of chew toys for guinea pig to choose from
- All made from non-toxic, natural wood
- Gives guinea pig plenty of options for play
- Some toys are glued together
- Bells may be a choking hazard for very small pets
Kaytee Perfect Chews Guinea Pig Toy
- Type: Chew Toy
- Materials: Non-toxic wood
- Features: Hangs on cage, several shapes
- Hangs on the side of the cage
- Several shapes and textures to enjoy
- Encourages natural chewing behavior
- Some guinea pigs aren’t interested in it
- Some pieces are glued together
This chew toy hangs on the wall of your guinea pig’s cage where it can easily access it, but it will stay in place. Made from non-toxic wood in several shapes, this toy is the perfect chew toy for guinea pigs.
Niteangel Small Animal Trio of Fun Balls Activity Toy
- Type: Ball
- Materials: All-Natural Fibers
- Features: Lightweight, all-natural, no glue
- Made from three all-natural fibers
- Lightweight and easy to throw around
- No glue, plastic, or dangerous materials
- Some guinea pigs may not like all three materials
- May not last long for heavy chewers
This toy encourages your guinea pig to be more active while also satisfying its urge to chew.
Living World Small Animal Tunnel
- Type: Tunnel
- Materials: Polyester fabric
- Features: Promotes play and exploration
- Tunnel is ideal for exercise, play, or sleep
- Folds up for easy storage and transport
- Promotes play and exploration, natural behaviors
- Materials not designed to resist chewing
- May become dirty if left in the cage
It can be used in your guinea pig’s playpen for exercise or added to his cage for sleeping.
Niteangel Wooden Ladder Small Animal Bridge
- Type: Chew toy, tunnel
- Materials: Natural wood
- Features: No glue, chewable, all-natural
- Made from all-natural wood sticks, no glue
- Works as a chew toy and shelter
- Helps keep guinea pig’s teeth filed down
- May be too small for some guinea pigs to fit under
Made from natural wood sticks and held together with wire instead of glue, this tunnel has it all.
Kaytee Baked Apple Timothy Biscuit Small Animal Treats
- Type: Chew Toys
- Materials: Sun-cured Timothy Hay and Apples
- Features: 4 oz. Apple and Hay Treats
Dry Matter Basis
- Supports dental health
- Healthy treat
- Rough texture may be too hard for some
- Like most treats, only healthy in moderation
Besides providing a tasty treat for your little furry pet, these biscuits are rough and hard in texture, which will give your guinea pigs hours of chewing satisfaction. Because guinea pigs have a natural instinct to chewand doing so is also good for their dental health. And at less than a dollar and a half per package, there really is very little reason to pass these treats up.
Bunny Chew Toys for Teeth
- Type: Chew Toys
- Materials: Hay Balls and Twigs
- Features: Non-toxic twig and hay
- Natural and safe
- Good for dental health
- Metal hook and jingle bell unnecessary
Since guinea pigs have growing teeth and a need to chew for optimal oral and teeth health, a tasty chew toy such as this is the perfect way to keep your guinea pig happy and healthy. The chew toy hangs from your guinea pig’s cage and comes with a jingle bell for them to play with.
Kaytee Rollin' the Hay Dispenser
- Type: Feeder/Ball
- Material: Plastic
- Features: Rolling Hay Stuffed Toy/Treat
- Encourages exercise and foraging behavior
Made of tightly rolled cardboard, this roller comes stuffed with delicious Timothy Hay, and is held together with non-toxic glue. Even after your guinea pig has consumed all of the hay, you can reuse the roller – simply stuff it full with your own hay, and provide your guinea pig with hours of enjoyment while he gets exercise and engages in his foraging instint.
This enrichment toy’s unique design is rolled tight and then pushed out which makes it more difficult for your pet to chew and destroy. All in all, a great way to keep your guinea pig fed, entertained, and happy!
JanYoo Guinea Pig Toys Chinchilla Hamster Roller Rat Chews Toys
- Type: Chew Toys
- Material: Wood (fir, pine, apple tree), cotton (for bedding)
- Features: Watermelon Balls, Small Bell Roller, Bell Roller, Dumbbell, Unicycle, Squared molar block with rope, Apple tree branches
- Provides variety
- All-natural, non-toxic materials
- Some pieces less sturdy than others
Made of wood and other all-natural materials, the JanYoo will also contains no pesticides, so you won’t have to worry for your piggies’ safety as they chew away. These toys are also handmade and aesthetically pleasing, so both pet and pet-owner alike can enjoy them.
Kaytee Chew & Treat Toy Assortment for Guinea Pigs
- Type: Chew Toy
- Material: Wood and loofah
- Features: Five different types of chew toys
- Variety of chew toys for entertainment
- Uses lots of red dye
All materials are made of natural wood and loofah, and are dyed a beautiful red, to give it an authentic apple appearance. While the red dye is certainly aesthetically pleasing and safe for you guinea pigs to chew on, some pet owners may be put off by it.
Soaked in water, much of the dye comes off. Either way, these chews are sure to be a hit for you furry friends.
WOWOWMEOW Small Animals 3-Way Play Tunnel
- Type: Tunnel
- Material: Non-toxic polyester and steel spring frame
- Features: 3-way tunnel
- Easily fits guinea pigs
- Sturdy build
- Difficult to clean
The tunnel is fully collapsible, making it easy for storage and travel. In addition to the three tunnels, there is a peephole, which gives your guinea pig more ways to entertain himself, keeping him happy and healthy as he plays.
Wheeky Treat Ball Toy for Guinea Pigs
- Type: Treat Ball
- Material: Non-toxic hard plastic
- Features: Treat ball to fill with your choice of guinea pig snack
- Fun way for your guinea pigs to play, exercise and enjoy a treat
- Refillable for long-term enjoyment
- Wet vegetables can get stuck in it
It is an eye-catching bright yellow color with orange decorative carrots, which pet owners are sure to find cute. The treat opening is adjustable, and can be filled with kibbles, flakes, small diced carrots, dried herbs or dried fruits.
As your pet rolls and pushes the treat ball, food falls out, encouraging more play, making it also fun for pet owners to watch.
SunGrow Coconut Fiber Balls
- Type: Chew toy
- Material: Coconut fiber
- Features: Three-inch diameter ball
- Excellent for guinea pig dental health
- All-natural material
- Picky guinea pigs may not care for it
Great for guinea pigs and other small rodent friends, this ball will provide your pet with hours of chewing satisfaction to help keep their teeth strong and healthy. It is also lightweight, making it easy to be pushed and pulled, so your pets will be happy to play with it when they are not happily chewing away.
Dbeans Flourithing 3 Types of Combined Chew Toys
- Type: Chew Toy
- Material: Apple Stick, Timothy Grass, Sweet Bamboo
- Features: 100 grams of assorted chew sticks
- All-natural chew sticks
- Variety of favor/types
- Enjoyability depends on your pet’s tastes
A great way to see what type of wood your particular guinea pig enjoys, you can think of these as a sort of sampler for future chewing stick purchases. All in all, a sensible and fun toy to add to your guinea pig’s selection.
Ware Manufacturing Willow Branch Ball for Small Animals
- Type: Chew toy/ball
- Materials: Willow branch
- Features: 4-inch diameter willow branch ball
- Well-constructed willow branch ball
- Simple, fun toy for exercise and entertainment
- Can be dismantled too quickly by a determined guinea pig
For most guinea pigs, it will take some time to pull and chew it all apart. However, if you have a more determined guinea pig that can make short work of it in a smaller amount of time, rest assured, that he still had a good time playing with it!
Vitakraft Slims with Carrot Rabbit Treats
- Type: Chew treat
- Material: Harvest Fresh Grains and Carrots
- Features: 50 grams of chew treats
Dry Matter Basis
- Healthy snack
- Good for guinea pigs and other rodent pets
- Small amount in the package
In addition to giving your piggies something tasty, these snacks are hard enough that they will satisfy your pet’s natural gnawing instinct. While guinea pigs are sure to enjoy these, other rodent pets can also partake, making them a well-rounded, fun treat for many different types of furry friends.
Rypet Guinea Pig Playpen
- Type: Playpen
- Material: Durable polyester and mesh
- Features: Foldable 47″ x 15″(120cm x 38cm) playpen
- Durable and safe
- Foldable and easy to transport
- Needs puddle pads underneath
The pen is foldable and collapsible, making it easy to transport and travel with. It is made of tear-resistant polyester, mesh and wire framing, and provides plenty of room for more than one guinea pig at the same time.
While it is a good idea to keep an eye on the piggies while they play to make sure they don’t chew on the sides of the pen, the material is still strong and well-made. For stress-free playing outside of the cage, your guinea pigs will appreciate this.
VCZONE Rabbit Chew Toys, Pet Bunny Tooth Chew Toys
- Type: Chew toys
- Material: Apple tree, ratten, grass, pine cone
- Features: 1 x Apple tree branch cake, 1 x Rattan ball, 1 x Star rattan ball, 1 x Grass ball 4 x Pine cone
- Variety of chews
- Improves dental health and relives stress
- A bit on the smaller side
- Spendy for size of toys
As with other, similar rodent toys, they provide activities that combat boredom, anxiety and stress. One of the toys also hangs from the cage by a metal hook, to make it fun for your guinea pig.
Piggies Choice The Space House All Natural Large Wooden Corner Hideout Guinea Pig and Bunny Hut
- Type: Housing/Hideout
- Material: Untreated Paulownia Wood
- Features: 12 x 12 x 7 hideout/house
- Great place for your guinea pig to hideout, sleep and nest
- Spacious inside and fun roof to perch on
In fact, this house can comfortably fit three full grown, normal sized guinea pigs! Non-toxic paint and natural wood give this guinea pig home a natural aesthetic and feel that pet-owners will also appreciate and enjoy. Overall, this house is a fun and sensible addition to your guinea pig’s home.
GuineaDad Crunchy Condo Hideaway Hideout (Pack of 3)
- Type: Housing/Hideout
- Material: Non-toxic cardboard
- Features: 3 cardboard guinea pig houses/hideouts
- Versatile “activity center”
- Popular amongst guinea pig enthusiasts
- Could benefit from being heavier to prevent overturning
While it looks like a simple cardboard box with some holes cut into it, and cute logo on the side, the Crunchy Condo has a surprising amount of versatility to it. This all-in-one activity center for your guinea pigs acts as hideout/house,doubles as a tunnel that you can use as an entrance to GuineaDad Liner pocket by inserting it under the pocket, and is made from non-toxic cardboard, promoting healthy and normal wear on their teeth. Not bad for a simple cardboard cutout!
Tips For Playing With Your Guinea Pigs
Playtime is important for your guinea pig. Not only does it provide an opportunity for exercise, but it also provides mental stimulation to keep your guinea pig’s mind shop and to stave off boredom. These little animals are surprisingly smart, so don’t underestimate the importance of play time!
Here are some tips for playing with your guinea pig:
- Spend time near your guinea pig even when you aren’t playing, so it gets used to you.
- Play with your guinea pig in a safe space like a playpen or a room with the door closed.
- The floor is the best place to play with your guinea pig because there is no risk of falling.
- Do a sweep of the space before you put your guinea pig down to make sure there aren’t any hazards like power cords or dropped pieces of food.
- Try out a number of different toys at first to see what your guinea pig responds to.
- Once you figure out what your guinea pig likes, create a playtime routine to keep things feeling both familiar and safe.
As you play and interact with your guinea pig, you’ll get a feel for its personality – you’ll also learn what kind of toys and games it likes. Always keep your guinea pig’s safety in mind, but don’t be afraid to switch things up once in a while with a new toy or a new place to play.
Your guinea pig’s safety should always be your primary concern, so be careful when choosing guinea pig toys. When you buy toys from the pet store, you can be relatively sure that they are safe, but it never hurts to check.
If you’re getting creative with household objects like cardboard boxes or wooden blocks, just make sure they very clean and untreated with any kind of paint or chemical.
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for guinea pig toys, try out one of the top 5 best toys for guinea pigs we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!
Della Christeen Harris
I have noticed that alot of the things you have on this list is TOXIC for Guinea pigs like pine and coconut?!!!
Hi Della, we appreciate your concern about these ingredients! Coconut is not toxic for guinea pigs but the fibers could contribute to intestinal blockages if consumed in high amounts. We'd recommend supervising playtime with the coconut fiber ball to make sure your guinea pig doesn't consume too much at once. As for pine, the concern is with the oil it produces but that primarily applies to pine bedding - it can cause respiratory issues for guinea pigs. The solid wood shouldn't be a problem.