The 5 Best Chinchilla Toys And Exercise Wheels
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
When you think about your chinchilla, you probably think about its big ears, long tail, and soft fur. If you think a little longer, you’ll move beyond the physical traits and on to some of the mental ones – you’ll remember that your chinchilla has a smart and active mind.
Keeping your chinchilla’s mind engaged is just as important as giving it physical exercise, so find the right combination of toys and exercise wheels to give your chinchilla’s body and mind a workout.
In this article, we’ll talk about the basics of keeping a pet chinchilla healthy and provide some tips for choosing the best chinchilla toys and exercise wheels. You’ll also see our top 5 picks for the best chinchilla toys.
We highly recommend looking at the comparison table we have below where we highlighted the features of each product. You’ll also find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
Compare Best Chinchilla Toys and Exercise Wheels
1. ZALALOVA Hamster Chew Toys
2. Tfwadmx Chinchilla Ledges Wood
Best Exercise Wheel
3. Kaytee Silent Spinner Small Animal Exercise Wheel
Best For Budget
4. Kaytee Lava Ledge Small Animal Toy
Best Chinchilla Chew Toy
5. Sharllen Apple Sticks Chew Toys
Wooden chew toy assortment
6 inches long
Sun-dried, natural, non-toxic
Hanging toy, chew toy, natural wood
silent spinning, wall mount
Safe to chew, attaches to cage
Natural wood, organic
What To Look For In Toys And Exercise Wheels For Chinchillas
Many people assume that pets exist primarily for the entertainment of the people who keep them, but that isn’t true. Pets need exercise and entertainment just as much as we do, and your chinchilla is no exception. Providing your chinchilla with toys and an exercise wheel is essential for health and happiness.
Here are some important things to look for in chinchilla toys and exercise wheels:
- Safe, natural materials. Chinchillas chew on anything and everything, so make sure every toy you provide is made from safe, natural materials so your chinchilla can chew on it safely.
- No small parts. As your chinchilla chews on the toys you provide, they will inevitably break down. Make sure the toys you provide have no small parts that might pose a choking hazard.
- Provide a variety. Chinchillas have active minds, so they become bored easily with the same old toys. Provide a variety of toys and rotate through them on a weekly basis to mix things up.
- Encourage natural behaviors. Choose toys for your chinchilla that encourage natural behaviors like chewing, burrowing, foraging, and climbing.
Our Top Picks For The Best Chinchilla Toys and Exercise Wheels
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in a chinchilla toy, it’s time to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best chinchilla toys and exercise wheels.
ZALALOVA Hamster Chew Toys
- Type: Wooden chew toy assortment
- Size: Assorted
- Key Features: Sun-dried, natural, non-toxic
- Assortment of 10 different chew toys
- Made from natural, non-toxic materials
- Provides variety and mental stimulation
- Some toys in the collection may be a little small
- Some toys use small amounts of (non-toxic) glue
Tfwadmx Chinchilla Ledges Wood
- Type: Chew toy
- Size: 11.75x6x6 inches
- Key Features: Hanging toy, chew toy, natural wood
- Hanging platform for rest or play
- Toys made from all-natural wood
- Helps wear down chinchilla’s teeth
- Placement of toys may be uncomfortable at times
- Entire toy may need to be replaced when it wears down
Kaytee Silent Spinner Small Animal Exercise Wheel
- Type: Exercise wheel
- Size: 12-inch diameter
- Key Features: silent spinning, wall mount
- Solid floor design keeps feet safe
- Quiet spinning action for night running
- Attaches easily to wire cages
- Movement may be a little stiff at first
- Free-standing option may not be as stable as wall mount
Kaytee Lava Ledge Small Animal Toy
- Type: Perch
- Size: 6 inches long
- Key Features: Safe to chew, attaches to cage
- Natural pumice stone safe to chew
- Install at any height for jumping/climbing
- Very affordable, comes in different colors
- Will wear down over time, needs occasional replacement
- Some chinchillas chew through it very quickly
Sharllen Apple Sticks Chew Toys
- Type: Chew toy
- Size: 300g
- Key Features: Natural wood, organic
- Made from 100% organic apple wood
- Sweet taste and great for chewing
- Available in several package sizes
- Some chinchillas simply do not like the flavor
- Somewhat pricey for being sticks
Tips For Keeping A Chinchilla Healthy
Chinchillas are very active and intelligent creatures, so they require mental stimulation just as much as physical exercise. Providing your chinchilla with the right toys is a great way to keep its mind active and engaged while also exercising its body. There are also some other simple things you can do to give your chinchilla a happy and healthy life.
Here are some simple tips for keeping your chinchilla happy and healthy:
- Make sure your chinchilla has the opportunity to take a dust bath at least twice a week – all you need is a large bowl and a small amount of chinchilla dust.
- Provide your chinchilla with a wide variety of chew toys to help it wear down its teeth – fresh hay is also good for this purpose.
- Give your chinchilla ample space to climb in its cage and provide climbing toys as well – things like ladders, hammocks, and perches.
- Provide your chinchilla with a large exercise wheel that has a solid running surface and no spokes where its tail or feet could get caught.
- Make sure your chinchilla has some toys and spaces to hide in – this is particularly important for daytime napping because chinchillas are nocturnal.
Finding the right toys for your chinchilla will support its health and happiness, but you also need to think outside the cage. Give your chinchilla time to play and explore outside the cage, making sure to keep the area safe and secure. A playpen is a great option to keep your chinchilla contained when out of the cage.
As is true for your own health, your chinchilla’s health relies on balance. Finding the right food that provides the optimal balance of essential nutrients is part of the equation, as is finding the right balance between rest and play. Your chinchilla needs mental stimulation as well as exercise, so choose toys that provide both!
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for chinchilla toys, try out one of the top 5 chinchilla toys and exercise wheels we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!