The 15 Best Dog Life Jackets
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Even though dogs are able to swim well, dog life jackets are must-haves for dog parents who sail with their pets or just like to take their pooch to the occasional swim at the beach.
When you are on the market looking for one that is suitable for your buddy, there are certain factors you must consider. In order to help you make a good buying decision, we have researched and reviewed a few products in this article.
At a Glance: Best Dog Life Jackets to Buy
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Best Rated Dog Life Jackets Reviewed
There are many dog life jackets available on the market to fit every budget, size, and type of activity. However, picking out those that are good in quality is not an easy task. We have come up with a list for you reviewing the ones we consider the best buys
EzyDog claims that this Life Jacket has 50% more flotation material than most other pet life jackets., The jacket has adjustable neoprene straps for a custom fit, and a nylon leash ring.
There is a reflective trim, so that you can easily sight your dog, both day and night. The handle on top allows you to guide your pet in the water and lift him out. This jacket is available in 5 sizes ranging from Extra Small to Extra Large.
The Outward Hound Granby Dog Life Jacket features dual rescue handles, foam panels, and ripstop material. While, the foam panels give buoyancy, there is also a neck float that will keep your dog’s head out of the water.
Buckles and straps for the belly and chest provide a well-secured fit. Moreover, the jacket has a bright orange color and a reflective piping.
Rated by Outward Hound as all-around for dogs with all skill levels, this life jacket is available in sizes ranging from XS to XL to fit dogs of all builds perfectly.
The Paws Aboard Neoprene Doggy Life Jacket provides a cozy fit with a Velcro fastening system around the belly and neck. Adjustable nylon straps allow custom size adjustments, while heavy-duty buckles secure it in place.
A breathable mesh under belly keeps your dog from getting too warm and uncomfortable, and also prevents chaffing. In addition, it allows the jacket to drain and dry quickly.
The jacket comes in bright colors, with reflective strips, to provide good visibility during the day and at night in order to keep your dog safe. The handle on top of this life jacket allows easy grabbing and leading your dog in and out of the water.
Kurgo has designed the Surf N Turf Dog Life Vest to serve both as a life jacket and a raincoat. By removing the floatation layer, you can convert it to a raincoat for outdoor activities in the wet season. It is ruggedly made with ripstop material for durability.
The waist comes with 2 adjustable straps, while the neck has a combination of Velcro and strap. Two transverse handles will provide quick control so you can guide the dog in water.
The vest comes with a bright color and reflective trim to aid with visibility and security. Also featured are 2 metal D-rings to connect leashes, and a bonus bottle opener. This jacket can be easily machine-washed for cleaning.
The Float Coat from Ruffwear is definitely the Rolls-Royce of dog life jackets, but if your budget allows it, it is worth the price. With abrasion-resistant webbing and foam padding throughout the vest, it is both durable and provides excellent buoyancy.
The jacket has an adjustable neck and two adjustable belly straps, with ends that can be tucked away and secured with Velcro. Like the rest of the jacket, the neck is padded well to keep the dog’s head out of the water.
The padded handle is sturdy enough to lift the dog and is very secure. A leash attachment, a loop to clip a light, and reflective trim are features on this life jacket that ensure your pet’s safety.
The Vivaglory Dog Life Jacket is an excellent choice to ensure your dog’s safety in the water. Made of extra durable oxford cloth, this doggie life jacket will hold up no matter how many boating or lake trips you may take.
It is designed with extra padding, giving it up to 50% more flotation. The fastening system is secure, yet comfortable around the belly and neck, with a removable front float intended to relieve strain on the neck.
Some dogs will need this while others might find it more of a hindrance – but since it can easily be removed and reattached, it is easy to adjust the jacket to whatever you and your dog needs.
The grab handle on the top of the jacked makes it easy to guide your dog into and out of water, while the extra padding of the jacket does not hinder your dog’s free movement. All in all, a great purchase at a great price.
The Paws Aboard Pet Life Jacket comes in a variety of vibrant colors and reflective strips that, while looking adorable on your furry friend, more importantly succeeds at increasing the visibility of your dog in the water, whether it’s daytime or nighttime.
Equipped with a top rescue handle for a quick and easy grab if needed, the Paws Aboard life jacket is a great choice for all your pet’s swimming needs.
Constructed with quick-dry, breathable neoprene fabric, the jacket is lightweight, buoyant and flexible, but also allows your dog to move easily and comfortably.
The breathable mesh underbelly of the safety jacket allows for proper water drainage and drying and is easily adjustable tp fit your dog safely and snugly. As always, sizing your pet’s life jacket accurately is an essential step to ensuring their safety in the water.We recommend this jacket for less heavy duty use.
The Asenku Dog Life Jacket is another well-made but price efficient safety jacket for your dogs. Made of high-grade polyester oxford, nylon and mesh fabric the Asenku stands up well against rips and tears even after repeated uses.
The Asenku comes with an adjustable belt and quick-release buckles, making it easy to put on and take off.
It also comes with a D-ring hook for a leash, and features reflective accents and bright safety colors to keep your pup visible no matter what the lighting is like, and a strong grab handle to make it easy to pull your dog into a boat if needed.
The look of the life jacket is whimsical and cute, making it not only an essential item to ensure your dog’s safety, but also a lot of fun for both pet and pet owner. All in all, a solid choice for your dog’s life vest needs.
The Wellver Dog Life Jacket is a well-made, swimming vest that will ensure your dog’s safety in the water. The Wellver’s velcro fasten system fits snugly around your dog’s neck and belly and provides quick and easy adjustments to make sure your pet gets the perfect fit.
The combination of the bright color and two long reflective strips makes it easy to see your dog in the dark or in a crowd, and it comes in a variety of colors to choose from.
The jacket will ensure that while your pup is safe in the water, he will also be comfortable enough to move around quickly and efficiently. While your pup moves through the water with ease and comfort, you will be able to relax knowing that your furry friend is having fun safely and comfortably.
The Queenmore Dog Jacket is made of secure, high grade waterproof oxford cloth and polyethylene foam, with a breathable mesh lining underbelly. It is easy to clean, fast drying, comfortable and warm for your pup.
Its adjustable nylon straps and quick release buckles help it to fit nice and snug, so you don’t have to worry about your dog’s safety or comfort.
It comes with a durable grab handle that is strong and low-profile for quick and easy grabbing should you need to pull your dog to safety, even at a moment’s notice.
A durable D-ring hook for connecting a leash is situation on the vest’s back for convenient leash to control. Reflective accents help to enhance visibility, although the grey shark design, while adorable, is not terribly bright and eye catching. The pink fish design may be a better choice in this case.
The Outward Hound Dawson Dog Life Jacket is an excellent, high quality life jacket for your aquatic outings with your pup.
Constructed with duel grab handles and a highly durable and adjustable neoprene belly strap, you will be able to relax knowing that your dog is safe and comfortable in this life jacket.
The buckles and chest straps keep the jacket secure while in the water, and the Velcro tabs keep the straps from getting caught on obstacles in the water.
The double stitching on the jackets prevent wear and tear, so you can rest assured that this purchase will keep your dog safe in the water for many outings to come.
If your dog gets tired out from swimming, the vest is buoyant enough to keep them afloat until they can get back to dry land again. The vest is a vibrant, bright red, making your pet easy to spot in the water, darkness or if he runs off into a crowd.
The He&Ha Dog Life Jacket has a feel to it – as soon as you put it onto your furry friends, you will notice that it has the feel quality material and will stand the test of time.
Made of nylon, mesh and extra layers of buoyant foam, even if your dog is very active and loves the water, this dog life jacket will stand up against wear and tear.
An under-chin frontal float will help your dog keep its head above water even in rough conditions, or if he tires out from swimming before he is standing on four paws instead of paddling them.
The rescue handle is very durable and reliable, while the bright orange and reflective accents keep your dog visible at all times while wearing this jacket. The mesh underbelly is both breathable and fast-drying, keeping your pup comfortable whether in the water or drying off after taking a dip.
The HAOCOO Dog Life Jacket may not be the most expensive option on our list, but don’t let the low price fool you into believing that it is not a quality life jacket for your dog. Made of high-grade polyester oxford, nylon, mesh and pearl cotton foam, this jacket is well-constructed for both safety and comfort.
The oxford nylon fabric guards against rips and tears, and the mesh fiber allows for quick drying and proper drainage.
Available seven different sizes, from XXS to XXL, you are sure to find one that will be suitable for you furry friend no matter the size or breed. Its adjustable belt and quick-release buckles ensure a snug and comfortable fit and is a breeze to both put on and take off.
A sturdy grab handle on top for quick and easy grabbing and a D-ring for a leash completes the design, making the HAOCOO a top line choice, even with the more expensive dog life jacket models to compare with on the market.
The Bocho Wave Rider’s Reflective Dog Life jacket has a simple, streamlined design that keeps your dog safe and comfortable in the water.
Lined with thick pearl cotton foam the buoyancy of the Bocho keeps your pup afloat, even if he tires out from swimming before all four paws are safely back on dry land. All buckles and straps are strong and secure, ensuring that the vest fits well with the perfect, adjustable size.
The reflective strips are vibrant and noticeable, and while the Bocho is not the most whimsical of designs on the market, it comes is a variety of bright and reflective colors, so you are sure to be able to safely keep an eye on your doggie when wearing this vest. All in all, the Bocho has everything that you could need for your dog’s safety and enjoyment in the water!
The SwimWays Dog Vest is as cute and endearing as it is functional. Designed with a shark fin on the back and a beautiful, highly visible bright blue color, this dog vest is an excellent choice for your pets swimming needs.
Made with smaller dogs in mind, the SwimWays comes with adjustable straps and buckles, with added Velcro to make the vest extra secure. It is well-made and constructed out of materials that will both dry quickly and easily once your pup is out of the water, and also stand up against wear and tear.
As far as aesthetics goes, it is safe to say that your furry friend will get a lot of attention at the beach and pool with this design. A fun, safe and comfortable choice, the SwimWays will make your lake trips with your pup a fun and memorable experience.
Key Considerations When Buying the Best Dog Life Jacket
There are certain things you need to look out for in a dog life jacket before you part with your money. Since you cannot afford to risk the life of your canine buddy due to a cheaply made jacket, you will want to seek out the best quality and fit. The following factors are worth considering before purchase:
- Fit and Size – Find out the size of your pet before choosing a particular vest for him. Dogs have difficulty staying afloat if they have an incorrectly sized vest on. If the vest is too small for your dog, it will lack the ability to keep him afloat. There are some life jackets that are one-size-fits-all, but it is always better to buy a dog life vest that is of the exact size for your buddy.
- Handles – Handles are what you can use to help your pup in and out of the pool, since dogs can’t climb stairs in water. Also, during emergency situations, handles are very useful, as you can easily hold on to them to rescue your pooch. Ensure that the material the handles are made of is of a high quality and that they are secured on to the vest properly, since it is extremely dangerous for them to snap off in the process of getting your pet out of the water.
- Comfort – The material used in making the outer layer of a life jacket largely determines how comfortable it is for your pup. You will want to avoid vests with rough textures that can easily scrap or scratch his skin. Another thing you need to consider here is the size of the straps. Look for a vest with straps that are wide enough, so that they distribute pressure evenly around his torso.
- Material – Material determines the floatability, durability, and comfort of the vests. The materials usually used in making vests include neoprene, nylon, and oxford. Generally, 50% of the materials in a standard life jacket should be floatable, like foam. Also, most good life vests have the chest side made with breathable mesh to prevent your dog from getting too hot and exhausted.
- Visibility – It is likely that you are using life jackets as a precaution in case of emergency situations, such as when a boat capsizes. Brightly colored life vests will be necessary when sailing on high seas or a large lake. This is to make your pup visible for rescue if the need arises. Make sure the vest also has reflective trim for visibility at night.
- Effectiveness – What makes the jacket life-saving gear is that it is able to keep your canine friend afloat on the water. Materials used in making these vests are what determine their buoyancy. Furthermore, any jacket you want to buy must not obstruct your dog while swimming.
- Security – Apart from the factors considered above, there are other vest parts that contribute to the overall security of your dog while on water. These security features include the buckles and straps. They work hand in hand to ensure the life vest stays secure on your dog. Also, as we have stated before, a life vest should have sturdy handles with which you can move your pet in and out of water.
- Jacket Type – You should make sure the type of life vest your dog is wearing is appropriate for a particular swimming activity. Requirements for swimming in pools are usually not as strict as those for open waters and lakes.
Safety Measures When Using a Life Jacket
Having considered the various factors that will enable you to make the best buying decision, there are other precautionary measures that will guarantee the ultimate security of your pup while on water.
- Train your pup to wear the life jacket and swim with it. With a little practice, a typical dog can easily learn how to swim with a vest on. You should not only train him to use it but also make him used to wearing it.
- Before you set sail, ensure you have your pup wear his vest with the straps and buckles well-fitted.
- Always check the life jacket before putting it on your dog. It is essential to check for tears in the fabric, and the condition of the straps, buckles, and handles. Also check for lumpy or hardened floating material.
- Never allow your dog to swim without supervision. Whether you are at the swimming pool or on the lake, always be close by when he is swimming.