150+ Cute and Unique Boy & Girl Pet Rat Names
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Pet lovers have a diverse choice for pet animals. These days you can hear stories of your friends bringing home a rabbit for a pet, or even a pig.
Whether it’s ferrets, hedgehogs, iguanas and even rats, there are an infinite amount of choices. A lot of it has to do with the uniqueness or adorability of each pet.
Many people decide to go for smart, clean and affectionate pets, who are the perfect size and don’t take a lot of space. All of this makes rats the perfect pets.
Best part? You can even teach your baby rat pet its name and they’ll come when called!
Our Favorite Pet Rat Names
- Stuart – A famous name from the famous Stuart Little movie.
- Whiskers – An incredibly suitable and relevant name for your rat due to the word itself.
- Ferry – For the ones who are merry and cheerful.
- Skipper – This is a great name because they are always running and skipping around the place.
- Sandy – Fits best for your rat with sandy brown skin.
- Pebbles – A very popular name for a pet rat.
- Percy – A popular name for any mouse character.
- Jerry – One of the most popular cartoon characters in the world from Tom and Jerry.
- Scabbers – This name derives from the ever-famous Harry Potter series.
- Wormtail – This is a name is from one of the Harry Potter film’s characters that were a rat.
- Remy – A name by a popular children’s movie.
- Splinter – A very badass and mysterious name. This is because this was the master of the Ninja Turtles.
- Ace – This is a great name because it means ‘best of them all.’
- Bruno – A very groovy and a cool name for a rat.
- Beans – This works with a small and adorable rat.
- Bobby – A simple and a common name.
- Cheese – It is really smart to name your rat after a thing it may love.
- Fudge – Great for your brown looking fudgy rat.
- Dodo – Simple, decent and chic. It also sounds funny.
Cool Pet Rat Names
- Gotham– The dark city where Batman hangs out.
- Hades– The place of souls in Greek mythology could be a haunting name for your pet rat.
- Indigo– Why not choose a color name?
- Inky– This dark name would be perfect for a pitch black pet rat.
- Ivory– A fun and ironic name to get people talking.
- Java– Coffee names are ideal for dark rat
- Kuro– Japanese for “black”.
- Licorice– The dark candy treat.
- Midnight– Why not choose this time of night for your rat’s name?
- Misfit– This name has a bit of an edge to it, which is perfect for dark rats.
- Mocha– Coffee names are great for any dark rats.
- Muddy– This can be an affectionate name for your dark rat.
- Necromancer– Wizards and magical names are a good pick for dark rats.
- Ninja– A skilled sneaky person could be a good namesake for your pet rat.
- Noir– This French word means “dark”.
- Nox– Means lights out.
- Omen– A scary name can give your rat a hint of danger to them.
- Onyx– This precious stone is often black.
- Pepsi– The dark soft drink.
- Phantom– A scary and haunting name for your rat.
- Pitch– Like the dark tar used on roads.
- Raisin– The dark, dried grape can be a good namesake.
- Raven– You could go with the name of a dark rat rat.
- Rorschach– This ink blot test is a good choice too.
- Rubber– This dark material that makes up our tires might work as well.
- Shady– Good for pet rat who are up to no good and have “shady” habits.
- Sharpie– Like the marker.
- Silhouette– Shadowy names like this lend an air of mystery to your rat.
- Smoky– Good for white and grey or pet rat.
- Smudge– A cutesy name you might consider.
- Soot– For a pet rat with dirty, black markings.
- Spider– The often dark and sometimes scary creatures are good namesakes for black rat.
- Sunset– This time of night can give your pet rat a romantic name.
- Tarot– If you want something mystical, you might consider the tarot cards as a namesake.
- Thirteen– This unlucky number is good for black rat of all kinds.
- Thunder– An imposing name could be a good choice.
- Twilight– Nighttime names are worth considering.
- Yin– the dark part of the yin/yang symbol.
- Frank – A smart choice for a smart looking rat.
Funny Pet Rat Names
- Honey – Because rats are sweet little creatures to us.
- Looper – This is a cute little name for a rat that loves to run around in circles.
- Mickey – A simple and a sleek name that everyone is familiar with.
- Marshmallow – A popular name for all kinds of rat, especially puffy ones.
- Ozzy – A famous children character`s name.
- Peanut – This is a great name for a small dog.
- Peggy – For mushy and stuffed rats.
- Xavier – A very mysterious and a shady name.
- Nibbles – Perfect name for the nibbling habit of rats.
- Bubbles – A perfect name for snow-white skinned rats
- Poppet – A very adorable and attractive name for your pet rat
- Crumbs – Perfectly fit for a rat who leaves crumbs behind after eating
- Ralph – An energetic and vibrant name
- Rebel – For your rebellious natured rat pet
- Roger – For your obedient rat who listens to your every command
- Crookshanks – A very rare and a creative name for your rat
- Kenny – A simple name for your quiet and shy rat
- Maggie – An extremely cheery name for a cheerful rat
- Finn – If your pet rat likes to swim and play in the water a lot
- Hoover – A very rare kind of a name for a pet rat
- Freddie – Name of a famous children`s cartoon character
- Monty – A handsome name for your hunky rat
- Buck – A popular and very relevant name for a pet rat
- Poppy – For your sweet-natured rat
- Juniper – A made up name with a nice ring to it
- Mario – A very catchy name with a groovy touch to it
- Buttercup – A perfect name which incorporates the cuteness of your pet rat
- Abby – A cute name with a pretty sound to it
- Chica – A name with a groovy Spanish touch to it
- Abel – A new and a rare kind of a name
- Andy – A common and a simple name for your rat
- Billy – Sounds like a name for a cat, but is fit for a rat
- Boots – You had Puss in boots and now you have rats in boots
- Jazz – For your pet rat who has an ear for jazz
- Jesse – A perfect name from your female pet rat
- Brownie – Because they are all scrumptious and adorable
- Eddy – A common name used for every kind of rat
- Pip – Perfectly fits the physique of the animal
- Peter – Another name derived from a cartoon character
- Ruby – Your rat is a total gem so why not name it after one?
- Maddie – A feminine name for your female pet rat
- Dusty – Incorporates the sandy brownish color of your rat`s skin perfectly
- Dappy – One of the most used names for every kind of rat, especially a rat
- Betty – A simple name with a nice ring to it
- Benny – A monosyllabic name for your simple rat
- Chip – A one-word name that is firm and suitable
- Ruffle – A name perfectly fit for a tough cookie
- Scarlet – A lavish name for your princess or princesses
- Cheddar – A perfect name for the lover of cheese
- Booboo – Doesn’t make sense but sounds extremely cool
- Howie – For a rodeo like a character of your rat
- Brenden – This is a handsome choice of name
- Robb – A cool name for a rat with cool tricks
- Ellie – A well suitable name for a cuddly female rat
- Troubles – A good name for a rat who makes trouble
- Raphael – A name with a holy spirit
- Furball – They may not have a lot of furs but it’s a nice name
- Templeton – Name from the famous movie Charlotte`s Web
- Chatter – For your rat who never shuts up
Baby Pet Rat Names
- Skitty – A perfect name for your energetic and athletic pet rat
- Crackles – No relation to anything but sounds like a cool name
- Crawford – A very sophisticated and an intellectual name
- Busters – For the naughty ones
- Robby – Because your rat is smoking hot
- Philips – Smart and intellectual
- Junie – For the little ones
- Jasper – A popular and catchy name for your rat
- Buddy – For your friendly pet rat
- Skittles – Sounds rare and original
- Wendy – For your rat who is a fast runner
- Duke – Has a nice ring to it
- Tiffany – Pretty, chic and dramatic
- Pooch – Perfect for their mushy physique
- Hamlet – For your rat who loves theater
- Pascale – For your artistic rat
- Trixie – For trickster types
- Jimmy – Simple, fun and elegant
- Donald – A good name for a political rat
- Gale – A simpleton choice for a name
- Husky – Complements the appearance of your rat perfectly
Rat Fruit and Vegetables Pet Names
- Tangerine – the citrus tree which bears the tangerine.
- Passionfruit – a purple colored fruit
- Peach – a round and furry fruit with a sweet yellow flesh.
- Plantain – resembling the banana
- Prune – also distinguished as dried plum
- Pineberry – a small fruit pale cream skin and red seeds
- Plumcot – commonly known as pluot and a cross-breed of plum and the apricot.
- Pomegranate – native to North Africa and western Asia
- Pomelo – thick yellow skin and bitter pulp that tastes like grapefruit
- Purple mangosteen – a dark reddish-purple fruit
- Quince – a pear-shaped fruit used in preserves or as a flavoring.
- Raspberry – a soft fruit related to blackberry.
- Salmonberry – a tall and spineless raspberry with salmon-colored or reddish.
- Rambutan – commonly known as Mamin Chino
- Redcurrant – a very small, round and red fruit
- Salal berry – same size of grape and has a dark purple color.
- Salak – the pear-shaped pineapple-flavored fruit possessing a twisting snakelike skin
- Satsuma – a fruit similar to small orange.
- Soursop – a large acidic custard apple with white fibrous flesh.
- Star apple – usually a green to purple apple-shaped fruit that when cut reveals a star-shaped pattern.
In conclusion, there are a million names you can find to name your rat, but the best thing that your pet rat will ever need is your love and care. Therefore, to find the right name look through the list above. Choose a name for your pet rat which best fits its personality and taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I name my pet rat?
You can name your pet rat after a celeb, a Harry Potter character, based on their own character trait, their favorite food, etc. You can find more adorable name ideas in our article.
What are good names to name a pet rat?
A good pet rat name is one that is short and easy to pronounce, such as Bubbles, Poppet, Crumbs.
Do pet rats know their names?
Pet rats are extremely intelligent, and do know their name. What's more, not only can they learn their names, they will come when called if taught to.