The 5 Best Hamster Beddings
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Hamsters make wonderful pets because they are small, quiet, and easy to care for. Like any pet, however, hamsters require a good habitat and a healthy, balanced diet. Choosing the right hamster cage is one part of the equation, but you also have to choose the right bedding to fill it.
In this article, we’ll talk about tips for caring for hamsters and provide some insight into choosing the best hamster bedding. We’ll also show you our top 5 picks for the best hamster bedding in different categories.
At a Glance: Best Hamster Beddings To Buy
We highly recommend looking at the comparison table we have below where we highlighted the features of each product. You’ll also find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
Compare Best Hamster Beddings
1. Small Pet Select Jumbo Natural Paper Bedding
Best For Budget
2. Kaytee Aspen Small Animal Bedding
Best Syrian Hamster
3. Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding
Best For Dwarf Hamster
4. Carefresh Small Animal Bedding
Best For Roborovski Hamsters
5. Kaytee Extreme Odor Control Bedding
Reclaimed wood pulp
8 cubic feet
Highly absorbent, natural
No oils/inks, natural
Long-lasting odor control, 3x absorbent, expands 2x
10-day odor control, soft, gentle
14-day odor control, 2x more absorbent
What To Look For In Hamster Bedding?
Hamster bedding is simply the material you use to fill the cage. It absorbs liquid waste and helps to control odor in addition to providing your hamster with something to burrow into to create a nest. Choosing the right bedding is important because it provides these essential functions.
Here are some important things to look for in hamster bedding:
- Made from natural materials. For your hamster’s safety, choose a bedding that is made from all-natural materials such as recycled paper or wood shavings.
- Absorbs liquid and odor. Look for a bedding that absorbs liquid but doesn’t stay wet or compact on the bottom of the cage. It should also lock in odors to keep things fresh.
- Affordably priced. You’ll need to clean your hamster’s cage often, so look for a bedding you can consistently afford to purchase.
- Free from dust and toxins. Some small animal bedding contains toxins that can be harmful to your hamster – pine shavings are an example. You should avoid hamster bedding that is dusty as well because it can irritate your hamster’s respiratory system.
Our Top Picks For The Best Hamster Beddings
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in hamster bedding, it’s time to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best bedding for hamsters.
Small Pet Select Jumbo Natural Paper Bedding
- Materials: Unbleached paper
- Capacity: 178L
- Features: Highly absorbent, natural
- Expands to 3 times the package size
- Highly absorbent and very gentle
- Soft and comfortable for hamsters
- May not control odors as well as some brands
- Product may be somewhat inconsistent
Kaytee Aspen Small Animal Bedding
- Materials: Aspen
- Capacity: 8 cubic feet
- Features: No oils/inks, natural
- Made from natural, biodegradable wood materials
- Processed to remove dust for easy breathing
- Very gentle on the feet and skin
- Has a slight woody scent some may not like
- Bag can be fairly heavy due to its size
Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding
- Materials: Reclaimed wood pulp
- Capacity: 30L
- Features: Long-lasting odor control, 3x absorbent, expands 2x
- Made from safe, natural materials and dust-free
- Absorbs 3x its weight in liquid
- Expands to two times its size
- Somewhat expensive compared to other options
Carefresh Small Animal Bedding
- Materials: Natural fibers
- Capacity: 50L
- Features: 10-day odor control, soft, gentle
- Made from scratch, very soft and gentle
- Absorbs 2x more than wood shavings
- Very low in dust and easy to clean
- May not expand as much as some beddings
- Somewhat expensive to use often
Kaytee Extreme Odor Control Bedding
- Materials: Natural fibers
- Capacity: 40L
- Features: 14-day odor control, 2x more absorbent
- Safe and gentle for small hamsters
- Lightweight and great for burrowing
- Absorbs and controls odors well
- Some dislike the scent of the bedding
- Product quality may be inconsistent
It is also virtually dust-free and twice as absorbent as wood shavings. It is great for hamsters of any species and can be used for other small pets.
Tips For Housing And Caring For Hamsters
Choosing the best hamster cage is essential to your hamster’s health and wellbeing. If your hamster doesn’t have enough space, it won’t be able to exercise properly and if the cage is too crowded with accessories, it won’t give your hamster the space it needs.
Here are some tips for housing and caring for hamsters:
- Research the type of hamster you plan to keep and make sure you understand its requirements.
- Choose the biggest hamster cage you can afford – even for small species, more space is always better for hamsters.
- Look for a cage that provides plenty of room for several inches of bedding – hamsters like to burrow into the bedding to create nests.
- Choose a cage that is well ventilated to prevent odor buildup and plan to clean the cage often to keep it fresh.
Hamsters are not a high-maintenance pet, but they do require a certain degree of care. Choosing the right hamster cage and bedding is half the battle, so take what you’ve learned here to make the right choice for your hamster.
Hamster bedding does more than just fill the cage. In addition to providing your hamster with something to burrow in to make a nest, it helps to absorb liquid waste as well as odors. The best hamster bedding will perform these functions and be reasonably priced so you can clean out your hamster’s cage and replace the bedding as often as needed.
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for hamster bedding, try out one of the top 5 best hamster beddings we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!