The 5 Best Ferret Toys
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
The ferret is by far one of the most entertaining pets to keep. They are active and goofy little animals with a surprising degree of intelligence. Keeping a ferret isn’t just about entertaining yourself, however, you also need to keep your new pet happy and healthy by engaging its mind as well as its body.
Providing your ferret with an assortment of toys is the best way to meet its needs for enrichment and exercise as well as mental stimulation.
In this article, we’ll talk about the basics of keeping a pet ferret healthy and provide some tips for choosing the best ferret toys. You’ll also see our top 5 picks for the best ferret toys.
We highly recommend looking at the comparison table we have below where we highlighted the features of each product. You’ll also find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
Compare Best Ferret Toys
1. Marshall Super Thru-Way
Best For Budget
2. Marshall Bungee Ferret Toy, Duck
Best Chew Toy For Teething Ferrtes
3. KONG Classic Dog Toy
4. Ferret Nation & Critter Nation Accessories Kit
5. Marshall Pet Products Pop-N-Play Ball Pit
Rubber chewy toy
Hammack, hideaway, and tunnel
Durable, flexible, clear
Plush fabric, bungee cord
Cleans teeth, won’t break down
Velvety fabric, customizable
Pop-up, colorful balls, customizable
What To Look For In Toys For Ferrets?
Ferrets love to chew on anything and everything, so it is important that you only provide your pet with toys that are safe for chewing. Avoid materials that are toxic or that could break down and cause an intestinal obstruction. Beyond that, think about giving your ferret a variety of different types of toys to keep it active and entertained from day to day.
Here are some important things to look for in ferret toys:
- Safe, non-toxic materials. Because ferrets like to chew on just about anything, you need to make sure the toys you choose are made from safe, non-toxic materials.
- No small parts. Make sure your ferret’s toys don’t contain any small parts that could come loose and be swallowed – it doesn’t take much to cause an intestinal obstruction that may require an expensive surgery to remove.
- Good for hiding. Ferrets are nocturnal animals, so they spend much of the day sleeping. Look for toys that provide a place to hide and take a nap.
- Easy to wash. In addition to being known for their goofy personalities, ferrets are also known to be a little messy. It doesn’t hurt to choose toys that are easy to wash or clean.
Our Top Picks For TheBest Ferret Toys
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in a ferret toy, it’s time to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best ferret toys.
Marshall Super Thru-Way
- Type: Tunnel
- Size: 15’
- Key Features: Durable, flexible, clear
- Encourages natural tunneling behavior
- Can be combined with other toys
- Made from durable, flexible materials
- Can be a little difficult to clean
- May have a slight odor when first opened
Marshall Bungee Ferret Toy, Duck
- Type: Plush toy
- Size: 8×5 inches
- Key Features: Plush fabric, bungee cord
- Encourages healthy activity and chase
- Soft, plush fabric materials
- Bungee cord bounces toy wildly
- Ferrets may chew through the fabric material fairly easily
- Bungee cord could be longer
KONG Classic Dog Toy
- Type: Rubber chewy toy
- Size: Small
- Key Features: Cleans teeth, won’t break down
- Made from ultra-durable rubber
- Perfectly sized for small animals like ferrets
- Cleans teeth and soothes gums
- Supervised play is still recommended
- Treats may fall out
Ferret Nation & Critter Nation Accessories Kit
- Type: Hammack, hideaway, and tunnel
- Size: 12.5x9x6.5 inches
- Key Features: Velvety fabric, customizable
- Made from soft, velvety materials
- Designed for customization
- Great for rest and play
- Clips may be too short for some cages
- Could be more sturdily constructed
Marshall Pet Products Pop-N-Play Ball Pit
- Type: Ball pit
- Size: 14x14x10 inches
- Key Features: Pop-up, colorful balls, customizable
- Pop-up kit with 35 plastic balls
- Can be customized and combined
- Lightweight and easy to set up
- Balls are made from very thin plastic
- Walls could be taller – ferrets climb out fairly easily
Tips For Keeping A Ferret Healthy
Your ferret can live anywhere from 6 to 13 years, as long as you take care of it properly. Ferret care is a mixture of providing the right food and habitat while also meeting your ferret’s needs for enrichment and exercise. It’s a balancing act and it’s your job to do it to the best of your ability.
Here Are Some Simple Tips For Keeping Your Ferret Happy And Healthy:
- Consider keeping a pair or small group of ferrets instead of a single one – they are very social and active animals that like having company.
- Provide your ferret with a large enough cage to run, climb, and play – ferrets do best with tall, multi-level cages.
- Remember that your ferret is a carnivore, so its diet needs to be primarily meat-based – do your research to choose the best ferret food.
- Make sure your ferret cage includes proper litter, bedding and a bowl of water for your ferret to wash its face and clean its coat – avoid bathing the ferret too often because it does most of its grooming on its own.
In addition to following these tips, plan to take your ferret to the vet at least once a year. An annual health check is the best way to keep up with existing health problems and to identify new ones while they are still treatable.
Ferrets are naturally very playful animals, so if you don’t provide your pet with safe toys to play with, they will just find something else. The thing to remember is that ferrets also love to chew, so if you don’t provide chew toys, you run the risk of your ferret chewing on something unsafe or toxic. Keep your ferret safe by providing an assortment of toys to keep it busy!
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for ferret toys, try out one of the top 5 ferret toys we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!