The 5 Best Bedding for Gerbils
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Gerbils are fairly easy to keep which is what makes them such a popular pet for children. All you really need is a cage, a few toys, and some essentials like an exercise wheel, food dish, and bedding. Bedding does more than just cover the bottom of your gerbil’s cage – it also provides your gerbil with a soft cushion for its feet as well as a material to dig and burrow into.
In this article, we’ll talk about the basics of caring for a pet gerbil and provide some tips for choosing the best gerbil bedding. You’ll also see our top 5 picks for the best gerbil bedding.
At a Glance: Best Bedding For Gerbils To Buy
We highly recommend looking at the comparison table we have below where we highlighted the features of each product. You’ll also find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
Compare Best Bedding For Gerbils
1. Small Pet Select Jumbo Natural Paper Bedding
2. Living World Aspen Shavings Small Animal Bedding
Best For Budget
3. Carefresh Shavings Plus Small Animal Bedding
4. Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding
Best For Odor Control
5. Carefresh Custom Hamster/Gerbil Pet Bedding
Paper and wood
1220 cubic inches
Safe, expands to 3x volume, absorbent
Absorbent, all-natural, expands well
Soft, odor control, 60% more absorbent, low dust
Absorbs 3x weight, expands to 2x volume, odor control
10-day odor control, 3x more absorbent than wood, 99% dust-free
What To Look For In Bedding For Gerbils?
When it comes to gerbil bedding you have many options. You can choose natural materials like wood shavings, recycled materials like paper, or materials made from scratch. As you start shopping around, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
Here Are Some Important Things To Look For In Gerbil Bedding:
- Non-toxic materials. Your gerbil’s safety is of the utmost importance, so avoid bedding made from unsafe materials. For example, certain wood shavings like pine and cedar contain oils that can be dangerous for small pets.
- Odor control. Look for a bedding that will contain odor well so you can maximize the length of time between changing the bedding and cleaning the cage.
- Highly absorbent material. Your gerbil will be doing its business in the bedding (ideally in one particular area) so make sure the material is absorbent.
- Little to no dust. Your gerbil is going to be digging around in the bedding, so you want to avoid anything dusty. Dust can irritate your gerbil’s eyes, nose, and lungs.
Our Top Picks For The Best Bedding for Gerbils
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in a gerbil bedding, it’s time to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best gerbil beddings.
Small Pet Select Jumbo Natural Paper Bedding
- Materials: Paper
- Capacity: 178L
- Key Features: Safe, expands to 3x volume, absorbent
- Made from unbleached, unprinted paper
- Expands to 3x its original volume, soft texture
- Made without chemicals and additives
- Packaging size can be a little misleading
- Some customers received product that was dusty
Living World Aspen Shavings Small Animal Bedding
- Materials: Aspen wood
- Capacity: 1220 cubic inches
- Key Features: Absorbent, all-natural, expands well
- Absorbs up to 4x its weight in liquid
- Made from 100% natural aspen wood
- Completely safe for gerbils and small animals
- May not be as soft as recycled paper bedding
- Might be a little dustier than some bedding
Carefresh Shavings Plus Small Animal Bedding
- Materials: Paper and wood
- Capacity: 69.4L
- Key Features: Soft, odor control, 60% more absorbent, low dust
- More absorbent than shavings alone
- Soft texture with 30% paper bedding
- Low dust formula is easy to clean
- May be dustier than paper bedding alone
- Some packages have larger pieces of wood
Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding
- Materials: Paper
- Capacity: 30L
- Key Features: Absorbs 3x weight, expands to 2x volume, odor control
- Made from soft, all-natural paper materials
- Expands to 2x volume and absorbs 3x weight
- Long-lasting odor control without fragrances
- Some customers say product was somewhat dusty
- Packaging size may be a little bit misleading
Carefresh Custom Hamster/Gerbil Pet Bedding
- Materials: Natural paper
- Capacity: 30L
- Key Features: 10-day odor control, 3x more absorbent than wood, 99% dust-free
- Offers 10 days of continuous odor control
- More absorbent than wood shavings and dust-free
- Made with 25% smaller pieces for gerbils
- Package size may be misleading
- Some customers noticed an unpleasant smell
Tips For Caring For A Gerbil
As your gerbil’s caregiver, it is your responsibility to understand your pet’s needs. This includes its needs for a safe cage, the proper toys and accessories, and a healthy diet. All of these things play an equal part in determining your gerbil’s long-term health and wellness.
Here Are Some Simple Tips For Caring For A Gerbil:
- Choose the largest cage you can for your gerbil – it is recommended that you keep gerbils in pairs or small groups, so choose a cage big enough for everyone.
- Fill your gerbil cage with 2 to 3 inches of soft bedding and change it as needed to keep it clean and dry – completely change it at least once a week.
- Feed your gerbil the highest quality food you can consistently afford – a commercial pellet is best for balanced nutrition, but you can supplement with seeds and treats.
- Make sure your gerbil has access to fresh water at all times – clean and refill the water bottle at least once a day.
- Spend plenty of time interacting with your gerbil to tame it and to build a bond – having toys and treats on hand will help you through this process.
Now that you have a better understanding of how to care for your gerbil, you can see what role bedding plays in that care. Take what you’ve learned here and use it to choose the best gerbil cage, bedding, and toys that you possibly can.
There are many different types of gerbil bedding and it is difficult to say which is truly the best. It’s up to you to decide which type of bedding you can afford, and which one will meet your gerbil’s needs. If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for gerbil bedding, try out one of the top 5 best gerbil beddings we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!