The 5 Best Humidifiers For Ball Pythons
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
When it comes to pet snakes, ball pythons are one of the most popular species. Not only are they one of the more docile species of snake, but they remain fairly small and are largely uncomplicated pets.
One of the biggest concerns when keeping a ball python as a pet is maintaining the proper heat and humidity in the tank. In order to do so, you’ll need to install a humidifier or, at the very least, mist the tank with water once or twice a day.
In this article, we’ll talk about maintaining humidity in your pet ball python tank and provide some tips for choosing the best humidifiers for a ball python cage. You’ll also see our top 5 picks for the best ball python humidifiers.
We highly recommend looking at the comparison table we have below where we highlighted the features of each product. You’ll also find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
Compare Best Humidifiers For Ball Pythons
1. Reptile Humidifier / Fogger - Large Tank
2. BETAZOOER Reptile Humidifier Mister Fogger with Extension Tube/Hose
3. Coospider Reptile Fogger Terrariums Humidifier
4. Zoo Med Repti Rain
Best In Performance
5. Zoo Med Reptile Fogger Terrarium Humidifier
Adjustable, automatic shut-off
Double tube, easy to fill
What To Look For In Humidifiers For Ball Pythons?
Humidity is very important for ball pythons because they typically live in warm, humid areas and may become dehydrated if it’s dryer than the environment to which they’ve adapted. Adequate humidity is also important for shedding because your python will have a hard time shedding if there’s not enough moisture in the air to keep the skin hydrated. Generally speaking, you want to maintain humidity in your tank somewhere between 50% and 60%.
Here are some important things to look for in ball python humidifiers:
- Size and capacity. Humidifiers usually run on a tank of water that you need to refill occasionally. The larger the tank, the longer the humidifier will go before needing to be filled.
- Adjustability. Some reptiles have higher requirements for humidity than others, so you’ll want an adjustable humidifier that you can set to maintain the right humidity for your ball python.
- Safety features. Look for a humidifier that includes an automatic shut-off to turn off the machine when the tank runs dry – this will keep you from accidentally burning it out.
- Extension hose. The extension hose is the part that carries water from the reservoir tank into the mister, so the length of the hose determines where you can place the unit.
- Easy to clean. Regular cleaning reduces the chance of harmful mold growth in the humidifier.
Our Top Picks For The Best Humidifiers For Ball Pythons
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in a ball python humidifier, it’s time to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best humidifiers for ball pythons.
Reptile Humidifier / Fogger - Large Tank
- Brand: Evergreen
- Size: 2L
- Features: Adjustable, automatic shut-off
- Large 2-liter reservoir, very long-lasting
- Flexible adjustable hose 1.5 to 5 feet long
- Automatic shut-off and best-in-class warranty
- Motor may start making noise with continued use
- Some received parts damaged or defective
BETAZOOER Reptile Humidifier Mister Fogger with Extension Tube/Hose
- Brand: BETAZOOER
- Size: 2.5L
- Features: Double tube, easy to fill
- Quick and easy to set up, reliable performance
- Very large 2.2-liter reservoir water tank
- Automatic shut-off and flexible hose
- Pump won’t work properly if placed below tube level
- Some received parts damaged or defective
Coospider Reptile Fogger Terrariums Humidifier
- Brand: CooSpider
- Size: 3L
- Features: Adjustable
- Very large 3-liter reservoir size
- Long, adjustable hose with suction cups
- Produces high-volume fog at 380L/hour
- A little more expensive than many models
- Some found it didn’t last as long as they expected
Zoo Med Repti Rain
- Brand: Zoo Med
- Size: Unknown
- Features: Plug-n-play, programmable
- Easy plug-n-play design for quick set-up
- Completely programmable and portable
- Doesn’t take up as much space as some
- Some found the performance to decline and become unreliable
- May not be ideal for very high humidity requirements
Zoo Med Reptile Fogger Terrarium Humidifier
- Brand: Zoo Med
- Size: Large
- Features: Silent, adjustable
- Ultrasonic performance, runs very quietly
- Large 3-liter capacity, reliable performance
- Upgraded version, completely adjustable
- Some users found it didn’t last as long as other models
- May not work as well in full-screen terrariums vs. all-glass
Tips For Maintaining Humidity In A Ball Python Cage
Ball pythons are ectothermic animals, so they can’t regulate their own body temperatures. Instead, they rely on the ambient temperature in their environment to stay warm. This is why heating is so important in your ball python cage, but humidity is important as well.
Here are some simple tips for heating and humidity in a ball python cage:
- Your ball python’s skin doesn’t hold moisture as well as other animals, so they require a humid tank environment to keep their skin hydrated (especially when shedding).
- Keeping the humidity in your tank within the proper range will require you to also maintain the proper temperature because heat and humidity are closely linked.
- Place a large bowl of water in your ball python cage to help maintain humidity – you may also want to mist the tank daily by hand if you don’t use a humidifier.
- Even if you choose to use a humidifier in your tank, you should still check the humidity level using a hygrometer to make sure it stays within the appropriate range.
Now that you have a better understanding of how to maintain heat and humidity in your ball python cage, you’re ready to start shopping for equipment! Take what you’ve learned here and put it to work choosing the best humidifier for your ball python tank.
Ball pythons are a popular pet and not particularly difficult to care for, as long as you understand their requirements. In addition to feeding and housing your python, you’ll also need to make sure the heat and humidity in the cage remain within the appropriate ranges.
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for a ball python humidifier, try out one of the top 5 best ball python humidifiers we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!