The 5 Best Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Cats are fastidious about keeping themselves clean. They spend hours a day grooming their coats just to make sure there isn’t a single hair out of place.
Not only does your cat care about the state of its coat, but it also cares about the state of its litter box. A dirty litter box isn’t just unpleasant for you (and your nose) – it also bothers your cat. To keep your cat box fresh and clean, consider upgrading to a self-cleaning litter box.
In this article, we’ll talk about choosing the right litter box for your cat. We’ll also show you our top 5 picks for the best self-cleaning litter boxes.
At A Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
We highly recommend looking at the comparison table we have below where we highlighted the features of each product. You’ll also find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
Compare Best Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
1. CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Cat Box
2. ScoopFree Ultra Top-Entry Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
Best For Multiple Cats
3. Omega Paw Roll'N Clean Cat Litter Box
4. PetSafe Simply Clean Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Best Automatic Box
5. Pet Zone Smart Scoop Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
Automatic, Top Entry, Covered
27.6 x 19.1 x 15.6 inches
Self-washing, special granules, flushes waste
ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Top-Entry Hood, Disposable Litter Tray with Lid, Bag of Premium Crystal Litter, Adapter, Manual.
Rolls to sift, covered, affordable
Automatic, reduces odor, low power consumption
Uses clumping litter, 4x quieter, easy maintenance
What To Look For In A Self-cleaning Litter Box?
Keeping the litter box clean is every cat owner’s least favorite chore. From scooping clumps to dumping and rinsing the box, none of it is particularly pleasant. If you’re looking for a way to reduce your own workload while providing some hygienic benefits for your cat, consider a self-cleaning litter box.
Here Are Some Important Things To Look For In A Self-cleaning Litter Box:
- Automatic or electronic. Some self-cleaning litter boxes are completely electronic and automatic, while others require a little action to get them going. Either is a great option, just make sure you know what you’re buying.
- Appropriately sized. Self-cleaning litter boxes come in different sizes, but some can get a little tight inside by the time you add the automatic components. Make sure the box you choose is big enough for your cat to use it comfortably.
- Covered for privacy. Many cats prefer covered litter boxes because it gives them an added degree of privacy. If your cat likes covered boxes, make sure the self-cleaning box you choose is covered as well.
- Type of litter. Some self-cleaning litter boxes use regular litter while others require you to purchase special granules or pellets. Keep convenience and cost in mind when considering the options.
Our Top Picks For The Best Rated Self-cleaning Litter Box
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in self-cleaning litter boxes, it’s time to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best self-cleaning litter box.
Here are our top 5 picks for the best rated self-cleaning litter box:
CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Cat Box
- Type: Automatic
- Size: 19.25x16x17.5 inches
- Features: Self-washing, special granules, flushes waste
- Scoops, washes, and dries automatically
- Eliminates need to handle litter at all
- You never need to purchase litter again
- Very expensive to purchase initially
- Must be connected to a cold water line
It requires a significant upfront investment and must be connected to a water line, but it completely eliminates the need to scoop or even handle dirty litter ever again. It uses washable granules that the unit washes, flushes, and dries automatically after your cat uses the box.
ScoopFree Ultra Top-Entry Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
- Type: Automatic, Top Entry, Covered
- Size: 27.6 x 19.1 x 15.6 inches
- Features: ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Top-Entry Hood, Disposable Litter Tray with Lid, Bag of Premium Crystal Litter, Adapter, Manual.
- Convenient to use with minimal maintenance
- Excellent moisture and odor control
- Practically no dust or tracking
- Requires purchase of special litter and trays
- Some cats don’t like alternative litters
This litter box comes with or without a hood and utilizes trays of special crystal litter that absorb liquid and dehydrate solid waste to control moisture and odor. The box automatically sweeps to remove waste and collects it in a bin that is easy to empty.
Omega Paw Roll'N Clean Cat Litter Box
- Type: Sifting, Covered
- Size: 23x19x18.5 inches
- Features: Rolls to sift, covered, affordable
- Simple to use and very budget-friendly
- Suitable for multi-cat households
- Can be used with regular litter
- Not automatic, some action required
- Takes some additional space due to rolling
Simply fill it with your choice of clumping litter and roll the box on its side to operate the sifter that separate clumps from clean litter for easy disposal.
PetSafe Simply Clean Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Type: Automatic
- Size: 26x19x10 inches
- Features: Automatic, reduces odor, low power consumption
- Continuously rotating bowl removes waste
- Saves a great deal of litter by comparison
- Only needs to be cleaned every 2 weeks
- May not work as well for heavy cats over 15 pounds
- Power cord may be too short (6 feet)
Use it with your choice of clumping cat litter and plug it in – that’s all it takes! The unit collects clumps in a waste bin on the back that you can empty as seldom or as often as you like for maximum convenience.
Pet Zone Smart Scoop Automatic Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
- Type: Automatic
- Size: 26.5x17x7.6 inches
- Features: Uses clumping litter, 4x quieter, easy maintenance
- Sensor detects action and starts automatically
- Scoops waste and deposits it in a waste bag
- Only needs to be emptied every few days
- Suitable for multi-cat households
- Only works with clumping cat litter
- Not as fully automatic as some models
Use it with any clumping cat litter and enjoy automatic sifting that separates clumps into no-touch plastic bags for easy disposal. What more could you ask for?
Tips For Keeping Your Litter Box Fresh
No one likes a dirty litter box. For you, it means a nasty smell that hangs in the air around the litter box. For your cat, it means an unpleasant experience and, for some cats, can deter them from using the litter box entirely.
Keeping your cat’s box fresh is a must.
Here Are Some Tips For Keeping Your Litter Box Fresh:
- Choose your litter wisely. Some litter is better than others at absorbing odor, so shop smart!
- Use enough litter in the box. Pay attention to the instructions on your self-cleaning litter box to determine how much you need.
- Empty the receptacle often. Though a self-cleaning box does the scooping for you, you’ll still need to dispose of waste to keep things smelling fresh.
- Keep up with maintenance. Your self-cleaning litter box won’t do you any good if it doesn’t work, so follow the maintenance instructions in the manual.
- Add an extra litter box. If you have more than one cat, you’ll need more than one box. If you don’t want to buy another automatic box, a regular one will do as an extra.
Even a self-cleaning litter box requires a little maintenance to keep things fresh. If you take a minute or two each day to check the unit and make sure it’s clean, it will cut down on your work and keep your cat happier for longer.
If you’re tired of scooping the litter box every day just to keep things fresh, a self-cleaning litter box may be the perfect solution. Some self-cleaning boxes are completely automatic while others require a little action on your part, but all of them save you from having to handle dirty litter.
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for a self-cleaning litter box, try out one of the top 5 best picks we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!