Best Cat Beds For Large Cats
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Cats spend a great deal of time sleeping and they have been known to curl up in some pretty strange places. Some cats will sleep on anything and everything, but some of them want nothing more than a comfy bed to call their own.
If you have a large cat, a regular pet store cat bed may not do the trick. Keep reading to learn how to shop for cat beds for large cats and to see our top 5 picks.
Compare Best Cat Beds For Large Cats
1. PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Memory Foam Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
Best In Comfort
2. Frisco Tent Covered Cat & Dog Bed, Sandy Beige
Best Heater Cat Bed
3. K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Cat Bed
4. Armarkat Collasible Zipper Top Cuddle Cave Cat Bed
5. Aspen Pet Self-Warming Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
Yes (remove heater)
What To Look For In A Cat Bed?
Before you go out shopping for a cat bed, you may want to ask yourself whether your cat really needs a bed. After all, there are plenty of comfortable places around the house for it to sleep.
The benefit of a cat bed, however, is that it gives your cat a place to call its own and, if you’re lucky, will cut down on the accumulation of cat hair and dander on other furniture.
Cat beds come in all shapes and sizes and styles. When it comes to cat beds for large cats, size is only one of the factors you need to consider.
Here are some important things to look for in a cat bed:
- Style – There are many styles of cat bed including mat styles, cushion styles, and round beds. Some beds are more like a cave your cat can crawl into while others resemble human furniture.
- Size – If you have a large cat, the bed needs to be big enough to accommodate it comfortably. The bed should be large enough for your cat to stand up, sit down, lie down, and turn around in.
- Materials – The materials for your cat’s bed need to be comfortable but sturdy – you don’t want it to fall apart the first time your cat kneads it. Remember that some materials are designed for indoor use rather than outdoor use, and some are more water-resistant than others.
- Quality – Not only do you need to check out the materials from which the bed is made, but you also need to keep an eye on the quality of those materials and the overall construction. Strong seams are a must for a cat bed, and look for thicker, tougher materials.
- Features – In addition to looking for quality construction and materials, you should also keep an eye out for optional features such as head beds, removable washable covers, or reversible prints that add function and value to the cat bed.
Now that you have a better idea what you’re looking for, it’s time to start shopping for a cat bed! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best cat beds for large cats.
Our Top Picks For The Best Cat Beds For Large Cats
The perfect cat bed for your large cat may not be the same choice another cat owner would make.
You’ll need to consider your cat’s size as well as its sleeping preferences when choosing a cat bed.
It’s also important to remember factors like quality and construction, shopping for a cat bed that provides good value without choosing the cheapest option.
PetFusion Ultimate Lounge Memory Foam Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Type: Memory foam
- Dimensions: 36x28x9 inches
- Waterproof: Waterproof liner
- Washable: Washable liner
- Made with 4 inches of memory foam and supportive bolsters
- Durable anti-tear cover spot-cleans or throw in the wash
- High-quality construction with waterproof liner for lasting durability
- Much more expensive than many cat beds on the market
- Somewhat bulky, takes up a significant amount of space
This PetFusion Ultimate Lounge with Solid Memory Foam Cat Bed is the perfect solution for a large cat because it features 4 inches of memory foam to cushion your cat’s joints while it sleeps.
This cat bed also features supportive bolsters to literally surround your cat in comfort. Plus, it comes with a durable anti-tear cover that is easy to spot-clean or throw in the washing machine.
Frisco Tent Covered Cat & Dog Bed, Sandy Beige
- Type: Tent
- Dimensions: 19x19x19 inches
- Waterproof: No
- Washable: Yes
- Unique tent shape surrounds your cat in comfort and security
- Made from super-soft materials with a padded pillow base
- Pillow is removable for washing or travel
- Tent and base are not waterproof, may stain easily
- May be tricky to reshape after machine-washing the tent
The Frisco Cat Tend Bed Size Large (Sandy Beige) features a unique tent-style design that literally surrounds your cat in comfort and security, giving it a den-like place to curl up for a nap. This cat bed is made from super-soft materials with a padded base and it comes in a sandy beige color that will fit right in with your décor.
The cushioned base is removable for easy cleaning and both the tent and the pillow are machine washable. Not only is this bed great at home, but it can be compacted for easy storage or transport – you can also just remove and take the pillow.
K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Cat Bed
- Type: Heated, round
- Dimensions: 20x20x6 inches
- Waterproof: No
- Washable: Yes (remove heater)
- Comfortable round shape with orthopedic foam base
- Integrated heater warms the surface to 10-15 degrees above air temperature
- Heater is removable so the bed becomes machine-washable
- Not intended for outdoor use (not water resistant)
- Some heating units are not very strong
The heater warms the surface of the cat bed to 10 to 15 degrees above ambient air temperature, keeping your cat warm all night long.
It comes with a 5.5-foot cord MET listed for safety and you can remove the heater to clean the bed. It comes in two different sizes (small and large) with the large size measuring 20x20x6 inches, plenty for your big cat.
Armarkat Collasible Zipper Top Cuddle Cave Cat Bed
- Type: Cave
- Dimensions: 18x24x13 inches
- Waterproof: Waterproof base
- Washable: Machine washable
- Unique cave-like design surrounds the cat in comfort
- Luxe velvet upholstery with padded waterproof base
- Machine-washable and skid-proof base for convenience
- May take some cats a while to get used to the bed
- Only the base is waterproof, the rest is prone to stains
This cat bed is available in a variety of shapes and sizes, but the 18x24x13-inch cave-style bed is a great choice for large cats. Made with luxe velvet upholstery fabric and a waterproof skid-free base, the quality construction of this bed ensures long-lasting durability. It is also machine washable which makes cleaning a breeze.
Aspen Pet Self-Warming Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Type: Self-warming
- Dimensions: 30x24x8.5 inches
- Waterproof: No
- Washable: Machine washable
- Cozy faux lamb’s wool interior for warms with contrasting corduroy outside
- Uses space blanket technology to reflect the cat’s body heat
- No-slip bottom keeps the bed in place
- Machine washing may cause it to lose shape
- May not stand up to heavy scratching or chewing
This pet bed comes in four sizes range from 19 to 35 inches, so it can easily accommodate even the largest of cats. It is made from soft, comfortable materials with a no-slip bottom, so the bed stays in place, even if your cat tends to roll around.
This bed uses the same technology as space blankets, using your cat’s own body heat to keep it warm. It features cozy faux lambs’ wool on the inside with contrasting corduroy on the outside for a clean, classic look. Plus, it is affordably priced under $20 except for the largest size.
Tips For Maximizing Your Cat’s Comfort
Choosing the right cat bed is step #1 in the equation. Once you have the bed, however, you need to think about where to put it. Your cat spends twice as much time sleeping as you do, so the placement of its bed is very important.
Here are some tips for choosing the right place for your cat’s bed:
- Take notice of the locations your cat usually chooses to nap – your cat may already have a favorite spot or a couple of places where it feels comfortable.
- Ask yourself if your cat tends to take a nap close to wherever you happen to be – if so, consider placing a bed near the furniture you use most, like the living room sofa or your desk chair.
- Choose a place that is not too secluded but will be quiet enough for your cat to nap comfortably.
- Consider buying your cat a cat tree in addition to a cat bed so it has something to climb as well as a place to sleep – you might even put the bed on the cat tree!
- If you don’t want to spend the money to buy a whole cat tree, consider finding an elevated spot for your cat’s bed such as the top of a bookshelf or a tall end table.
In addition to choosing the right bed and putting it in the right spot, you also have to take care of it. Depending on the materials the bed is made from, you might need to spot-clean the bed or you may be able to throw the entire unit in the washer.
For most beds, you’ll need to let it air dry to keep its shape, though mat-style beds and flat beds can sometimes be tumbled dry.
When you come home with a new cat bed, you can’t expect your cat to take to it immediately. Some cats are resistant to change, but you can encourage your cat to use the bed by trying out different locations or by using a little catnip as a bribe.
You can also try placing one of your cat’s favorite toys in the bed or place it in a location where your cat likes to sleep already.
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for a cat bed for large cats, try out one of the top 5 best cat beds we’ve reviewed above. Best of luck to you and your cat!