The 10 Best Cages For Syrian Hamsters
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Syrian hamsters are very active hamsters with a lot bigger of a personality than dwarfs (or at least this can be argued by different owners). They are quite territorial, so you shouldn’t risk placing more than one in a single cage. They usually reach full maturity around 8-12 months.
The Syrian hamster is very nocturnal, meaning they love to be active during the night. They can usually live up to 1-2 years, possibly longer.
At a Glance: Best Cages For Syrian Hamsters To Buy
We highly recommend looking at the comparison table we have below where we highlighted the features of each product. You’ll also find more detailed information about each product later in the article.
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
The Top 10 Best Cages For Syrian Hamsters
When you go cage shop for your Syrian hamster, it is important to know what exactly you are looking for. The best cage for your Syrian hamster should have proper ventilation, ease of cleaning and easy to use. Wire cages are easy to clean than any other, but the preference is yours.
Your pet should be able to move freely, play and have a conducive environment for it to grow healthy and develop properly. We have complied a list below of the best Syrian hamster cages to help you make an informed choice.
Here are our top picks for the best cages for Syrian hamsters you should consider:
The Syrian hamster is one of the larger species, so it needs a bigger cage. The Prevue Pet Products Universal Small Animal Home is a great option because it features an extra-deep base with plenty of room for bedding and a wire mesh top that offers excellent ventilation.
This cage comes with two entry doors, one on the top and one on the side, both of which are very large and easy to use.
This cage is simple to clean and comes with a ramp and second level to maximize the use of space.
If you’re looking for the ideal Syrian Hamsters cage to suit any species, the Ferplast Large Syrian Hamsters Cage with Wheel is a great option. This cage features two levels, which makes it very easy to clean and ensures that your hamster’s need for space is met.
The top level contains a built-in wheel and room for accessories while the bottom is an open space you can fill with bedding.
This cage is generously sized and can accommodate more than one hamster, depending on the species.
The Lixit Animal Care Savic Hamster Heaven Metro Cage is a great option because it features a wide floor space area with upper levels where you can place accessories like hideouts and food bowls.
It can also be added to with tubes on the top or sides to provide your hamster with enrichment opportunities.
The Midwest Homes Critterville Arcade Hamster Cage is a great option because it provides a significant amount of floor space as well as vertical space with a wheel, several ramps, and a hideout.
This cage is affordably priced for the number of features and accessories it includes, plus it is well ventilated and easy to clean.
Hamster cages can get expensive, but there are affordable options out there. If you’re looking for a reasonably priced cage that comes with a variety of accessories, try the Habitrail Cristal Hamster Cage with Wheel.
This cage features a plastic and wire mesh construction with a built-in wheel and hideout. It comes with a water bottle and food dish as well, all priced under $20.
The cage may not be the biggest hamster cage, so it’s not ideal for Syrian hamsters, but it’s a good starter cage and may be adequate for smaller species.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one large cage for multiple Syrian hamsters, this model from Living World may be a good option. It features a sturdy plastic base with a metal wire frame that completely encloses the cage for safety without compromising on ventilation.
The x-large size measures 47x23x24 inches, which is ideal for a single guinea pig but may be a little small for two unless they are a smaller breed. The cage also comes with a balcony that doubles as a hideaway underneath with a tip-proof food dish and a water bottle.
This crittertrail triple play offers a three challenging environment for your pet. It has a tower, arch, or tunnel habitat design to house your hamster or gerbil. Moreover, it has narrow wire spacing and spring-loaded door locks to prevent your pet from escaping. It also comes with a wheel, water bottle, and food dish. The product measures 17-1/4-inch long, 11-1/2-inch wide and 19-1/4-inch high.
This hamster cage comes complete with tunnels, platforms, slides, houses, exercise wheel, toilet, food bowls and drinking bottle. Moreover, it is an extra-large hamster cage measuring 31 1/2x20x20 inch which has adequate space for your pet. The product is also made of quality plastic and east to assemble.
This cage is an Amazon brand which measures 40.2 by 21.3 by 19.7 inches (LxWxH); weighs 15.6 pounds with an Amazon Basics limited 1-year warranty. Moreover, this cage comes with a non-drip water bottle, hay guard, and balcony with access ramp and a tip-proof food dish.
It also has a hideaway space underneath the balcony for privacy. The product has an iron wire upper frame and a PP plastic base, a large top and front opening for easy access.
This cage is of a beautiful design with a tree level pet habitat measuring 17.72 x 12.20 x 19.29-inches great for small animals and critters. Moreover, it comes with a wheel, water bottle, and a food dish. It also has three levels that the pet can explore and climb. It provides safe, well-ventilated fun and comfortable place for your pet.
Key Considerations When Buying a Cage for a Syrian Hamster
Since the Syrian hamster is slightly different in regard to how big they can become, you should be a bit more specific to what you look for in a cage. While it is roughly similar to hamsters in general, you should still consider the following features when buying a cage.
- Type of cage – There are three main types of cages that are out in the market when it comes to hamster cages: wired, plastic, and aquarium. Every cage has its own defining features, but usually, many owners consider a wired cage to be the best.
- Ventilation – Without the proper ventilation, your Syrian hamster will live with discomfort. Since their lungs are not that big, having a cage that does not allow a lot of air to pass through will definitely create issues. There should be enough space between the bars. Aquarium and plastic cages are convenient to have, but they are not the best when it comes to ventilation.
- Size – Considering this is where your hamster will spend most of its life, you want to get a cage that is big enough. The size is very important because hamsters generally like to have different corners for different things. For example, they enjoy burrowing into cozy spots, while having a designated place for going to the bathroom, etc. The National Hamster Council states that a Syrian hamster should have at least 150 square inches of area to live and play in. In regards to the height of the cage, they recommend 17.5 inches tall.
- Security/safety – Even though this point is fourth on the list, it is one of the most important things to consider because safety is everything. Since a Syrian hamster, no matter how big it gets, still has small feet, you need to pay attention to the type of flooring it is walking on. If you get a wired cage with a floor that has the same material, regardless of how much bedding you put over it, there is a chance for its leg to get stuck. So, definitely consider a plastic tray for a flooring. Furthermore, pay attention to the spaces between the bars, since you do not want your pet to bite or escape through. It should be no more than ½ inch apart.
- Accessories – Your hamster will be stuck in this cage for his/her whole life. So, having a hamster wheel for it to run and exercise on is essential to a great home. However, it is important to remember that wheels should be big enough for your Syrian hamster. They should have no cross bars for support, and the surface should not be wired mesh, but instead solid. This is so your pet does not get suck in between while running.
- Ease of cleaning – As much as the hamster cage is for your Syrian hamster, you are the one that is cleaning it. This means you should be still have aspect to consider when buying one since something that is difficult to clean will only make your life harder. Generally, wire cages with a plastic bottom tray are the easiest to clean. This is because all you really need to do is lift the wire top off, remove the bedding, and wipe or wash down. To be extra sanitary, you might want to clean between the wires as well (since urine can go on it sometimes), but that is up to you. For plastic cages that consist of a lot of inner tubes, cleaning can become very troublesome.
In conclusion, hamsters are great pets for kids and adults alike. Like any other pet, they require a certain amount of care and maintenance to keep them active and happy.
Also, because they are nocturnal creatures, you need to consider the right spot for placing the cage, or else you will have many sleepless nights. Their living environment should be made as natural as possible.
The cage you choose for your pet is therefore very important. Look at the key considerations we mentioned above to give you an idea of what to look for when buying a Syrian hamster cage. Also, if you need suggestions, we provide a list of some of the more popular products that owners can choose from. In the end, you are the owner so you must do your research and make the necessary effort to take care of your beloved pet.